“I Need A Beach” Reads
It’s been a cold 2015 in Colorado so far. There’s been snow, freezing rain, and a dismal Bronco’s loss. With a couple months still to go before the first signs of springs appear, it’s safe to say I need a beach!
In the absence of a real beach, I’m going to read books that will hopefully channel that relaxation and sunshine. Some are like soap operas with captivating drama, some sweet romances or laugh-out-loud funny, and some take place on faraway beaches.
Here are my top 5 “I need a beach” reads:
1) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart — A contemporary YA that follows a wealthy family who always vacations on a private island, and one summer when something terrible and mysterious happens. A wealthy family + engrossing drama + an unreliable narrator = sign me up!
2) Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millet — The title alone has me intrigued! The story follows a honeymooning couple who become entangled in the protection of mermaids from a tropical resort’s evil commercial plans. And it’s supposed to be laugh-out-loud funny, to boot!
3) Yes Please by Amy Poehler — I’ve come to respect Amy Poehler so much over the last few years! Her work on SNL, her genius role as Leslie Knope on Parks & Rec, and her recent (and hilarious) Golden Globes opening with Tina Fey all have me saying, “Yes, please!”
4) This Lulliby by Sarah Dessen — I must confess, I’ve only read one of Dessen’s books (The Truth About Forever) but absolutely LOVED it! It was the epitome of beach reads to me: swoon-worthy characters and a sweet romance, but with enough depth to keep it interesting. And this is supposedly one of her best!
5) Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King — This list wouldn’t be complete without the master entertainer himself, Stephen King. Sure to be a well-written page turner full of suspense makes this the perfect read to help me escape the clutches of winter.
What books do you read when you need a ‘vacation’? Are there any that remind you of the beach?
What I’m reading: My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante (Book club pick, and a book that takes me back to Italy!)
What I’m listening to: Guster — Evermotion